Rankings and community engagement of higher education
Since the TEFCE project intends to consider how community engagement in higher education can be assessed and measured (both internally by higher education institutions, and externally by policymakers and other stakeholders),it is worth considering the debates that have arisen regarding how community engagement links with international rankings of higher education institutions.
Below is a list of blogs and news articles that have been published on the subject, discussing whether and how to rank universities according to their community engagement, how to adapt existing rankings to also incorporate community engagement as a dimension or considering whether community engagement is incompatible with rankings and indeed may in the long term become a new paradigm in higher education that will ‘outperform’ the logic of rankings.
- Monaco, A; de la Rey, C. (2015). World University Rankings blog: should global league tables consider community engagement? Times Higher Education. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/world-university-rankings-blog-should-global-league-tables-consider-community-engagement
- Peter. A (2017). Community engagement outperforms university rankings. University World News. http://www.universityworldnews.com/article.php?story=20170321225318326
- Schuetze, H (2012). Community Engagement and University Rankings. http://pascalobservatory.org/pascalnow/blogentry/community-engagement-and-university-rankings
- Times Higher Education (2017). University rankings ‘must give greater recognition’ to engagement. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/university-rankings-must-give-greater-recognition-engagement
- U-Multirank (2015). Community Engagement: Can It Be Measured? U-Multirank Newsletter, IssueIII, November 2015. http://www.multirank.eu/fileadmin/downloads/Newsletter/2015/November/Ranking%20News_Community%20Engagement.pdf